Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Well, we found out some discouraging news today. We were prepared for it because we knew the tests were in process and had read up on them, but it's still hard to hear when it is confirmed....We got the results of Kahlia's genetic tests today, and she has been diagnosed with DiGeorge Syndrome. With that comes A LOT of things - all of which we do not know if she will have or not. It is very common with kids who have both a congenital heart defect and cleft palate. There are certain facial features ( her ears being one of them) that are "distinct", there are usually developmental and speech delays, small stature, immunity deficient and thymus gland problems, and possible psychiatric issues as she grows older. We are just lifting her before the Lord - praying for the little miracles along the way. She has lots of "teachers" (3 siblings who can't wait to teach her something new!) - I hope that helps as she learns to talk and communicate. Makenna taught her to put her hand to her mouth back and forth while making a sound - so she sounds like a little (Native American) Indian. Her new favorite thing to do!! She is so very proud of herself. If she keeps up with her beautiful spirit, and gentle demeanor, it will be so much easier to get through these hard days!
I'm having my own issues. I've had a head "something" since we came back from India. I thought it was just a head cold, but it's just not getting better. I've been on antibiotics for over a week thinking I had a sinus infection, but it hasn't seemed to help. I feel like I can barely function. Ugghhh... :-(

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Michelle. I know you are overwhelmed with all that Kaliah has ahead of her. I'm praying that you will have the grace and strength you need for each moment and the peace and patience to continue to love her well and trust the Lord as He walks you through this process. I can tell from facebook and here that you have lots of people praying for you! Be sure to let us help you along the way. We all want to be God's hands and feet as you parent this special little one.

    ReplyDelete