Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The kids are getting ready and happy to open presents on Christmas morning
our little Kahlia being held by Kahlia - whom we named our little girl! :-) This was the first time that Kahlia got to meet Kahlia - what fun! :-) I met Kahlia when she was going into the 4th grade when she was a camper in my group at Camp Tilikum. She has always held a special place in my heart, and has grown up to be a beautiful, smart, wonderful young lady. God has some amazing things in store for this young lady!!! :-)

All the kids at grandma and grandpa Brown's house before Christmas


The Christmas season - a time to remember what Christ has done for us - the blessings that we have received, and a time to give to those that we care about most...ahh - family time is the best! :-) We had a GREAT Christmas vacation - and the kids are still enjoying theirs. We spent 5 1/2 days at my parents house before Christmas, it was fun to spend time with my side of the family - and we took in 2 appts. for Kahlia at OHSU. The first was on Wednesday - Scott took Kahlia to a sedated hearing test. I stayed back with mom and the kids - it was Scott's first time to go by himself - and yes - he did just fine. :-) The results of Kahlia's hearing test - she has mild hearing loss - but the inner ear is just fine...she has large holes in her ears which is what has caused the loss of hearing, but they can't close the holes until she is much older for fear that her ears would "burst" with out the holes there for drainage. So - though the hearing loss is not serious - it's enough that they recommend hearing aids during her language formative years. It is important to give her every opportunity to learn speech correctly - she needs all the help she can get! Then, after she has learned to talk well, they will probably not be needed any more. She will be able to live "normal" with out the hearing aids. It's a bummer - but we're willing to do what ever it takes to give her every opportunity she needs to catch up!!! :-)

The next day, I took her to OHSU for a physical therapy evaluation. She will be having a full CDRC evaluation in March or April (Child Development Resource Center), but I wanted to get the ball rolling with Physical Therapy since she still is not walking! It went well, and they recommended both swimming lessons and tot gymnastic classes - excited to get started on these! :-) By looking at her - they know she will be walking - it's just a matter of when. She has A LOT of initiative - she REALLY wants to walk - she just can't. Often at home, she stands up on me and wants me to walk so she can walk holding on to me - she walks any chance she gets if someone will hold on to her. Time, Time, Time...It's hard to be patient when we all want her to walk so bad!! I have to admit though - when she starts walking - my life is going to be turned upside down. She has SO much energy!!

We had a wonderful Christmas with our family here at home. Scott's sister Trisha, her 3 kids Charlie, Samantha, and Alexandria, plus Scott's mom were here - everyone had a great time. Kahlia now knows how to open presents - she's learned a lot since her birthday in September! She had a wonderful 1st Christmas - even though age wise it would have been her third! She loves the lights, the tree, and tried opening ALL the presents! ;-)

It is now the end of December, and the kids STILL love and adore Kahlia as if she came last week. I love having the kids a little older then her - they all treat her like she's their little princess - I love them all SO much! :-) I am so grateful for each one of them. Brendon - the oldest, can do no wrong in the eyes of Kahlia. She adores her big brother SO much! I saw Brendon play football with her today - I'll let your imagination figure that one out, but he really was! Makenna is such a little mom. She takes care of Kahlia the most, and does such a good job. She is very responsible - making sure she stays out of trouble, and being careful that she doesn't put anything bad in her mouth - she really is a HUGE help to me. If I ask her to do something for her, she rarely complains - what a blessing! David is the little "big" brother. His favorite thing to do is literally scream in her face just to get a reaction. I think he enjoys finally having a younger sibling to completely annoy - grateful it's not him! In all seriousness though - he loves his little sister - constantly hugging her (often a little too hard I might add!).

So grateful for the family God has given Scott and me. God has an amazing way of giving us exactly what we need, even though we don't even know we do! :-)

Looking forward to 2011 - a year with hopefully a few less medical issues, and a little more dull moments. :-) It's been a tough year trying to keep my family intact, but as we enter into a new year, I am mindful of God's promise to us in Colossians 1:17 - "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." Wow! That should be my theme verse!! :-) Thank you Jesus that YOU are in control - I wish all a Happy New Year!!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment